Friday, February 15, 2008

snowflake drizzle and a weekend of scurrying dreams....

Friday, February 15th....

Eye-lids peeled open to reveal the dream
concavity of night a tye-dyed panoramic
pond of images where
I found myself endeavoring to scale the precipice
of a staircase that was gradually foundering
after my every step. The stairs were part of an
old building in west Peoria, now defunct, that
I used to deliver papers to. The front of the building
showcased a ma and pa restaurant simply titled
"the coffee shop" that was a potpourri of
finger nail grease mingled with working class smoke.
The back skull of the restaurant housed 90 degrees
staircases with apartments above. In the dream I kept
endeavoring to get to the steeple of the staircase,
although the staircases kept collapsing beneath the soles
of my feet every time I endeavored to trudge in a direction
that would lead me to the carpeted welcome matt. At times
the staircases formed a petting zoo like cage of
Byzantine proportions. At times I feared for the
voluble interior fabric of my dream anatomy
yelping as my square step with capitualte below
my upward movement, towards the top. Part of the
dream I remember hearing the vocal chimes of my
mother above me, instructing me to configure my limbs
in a certain fashion, stating that if I did so, I would
be able to avoid the frangible architecture collapsing
around my and reach the zenith. After half and hour
of getting stuck in the quagmire of skeletal grates
I finally reached the summit where an old man
(he looked like a moribund trucker) welcomed me
with a nod, snapping at the ash of his cigarette
Opening the door to the den of souls above
where both my mother and my sister
were already somehow stationed
waiting for me simply to join them.

No comments: